Projecting a professional business image online
is both extremely essential and powerful.
It all starts with the first impression of a good headshot! This will build your credibility as a professional, whether you are job searching, growing in your role, or just want to project a professional reputation online.
- Use a digital camera (not a phone) to take a high resolution photo.
- Proper attire for a LinkedIn photo is professional dress. Just like an interview, it’s better to be more dressed up than you need to be.
- Photo should be taken in front of a plain background.
I recommend that you tilt your body to one side, to avoid the ‘mugshot’ look. Your company may also have a good photo on file that they are willing to let you use — it builds their credibility, too!
- Have me take it! $20 for a headshot. Meet in Lenexa, full rights to your photos.
- Darker colors are best, because they distract less from the face.
- It is typical for men to wear a suit with a tie and for a woman to wear a nice blouse. You won’t need to worry about the pants matching (especially if you are just wearing a suit jacket just for the photo) because they won’t show in the headshots.
- Make sure you are comfortable in the clothing you wear. If you’re not, your headshots won’t look natural.
- Wear well-fitted clothes. Ironed if applicable.
- If you’re female, make sure what you wear will show up well in the head shots. Don’t wear a long necklace, as it will be cut off.
- Try to avoid brightly-colored outfits, like white, hot-pink, yellow, etc. The brighter the color of the clothing that you wear, the more of a distraction it will be. Earth tones are usually best for business headshots. Of course, if you absolutely love bright colors and want to wear them, it’s okay.
- Bring Chapstick so your lips don’t look dry.
- If you can’t choose a color for your shirt, tie, or blouse, remember that the color blue signifies trust!
- Move your cursor over Profile at the top of your homepage and select Edit Profile.
- Move your cursor over your photo and click Change photo.
From here, you can:
- Change the position and size by dragging the yellow square.
- Choose what your preview photo will look like.
- Change your profile photo by clicking Change photo.
- Select the photo you would like and click Open.
- Click Upload Photo.
- You can upload JPG, GIF or PNG files.
- File size – 10MB maximum.
- Your photo should be square.
- The ideal pixel size for your photo is 400 x 400. If either width or height exceeds 20,000 pixels, your photo will not upload.
- Select who you want the photo to be visible to.
- Click Save.
Want a LinkedIn Review? Leave your public profile link below:
As you know, many employees include their LinkedIn profile in their email signature.
To find this link, visit your profile after logging in to Linkedin.com.
1. Click on Profile
2. Look for your public link underneath your photo.
3. Copy this link and link the word ‘LinkedIn’ in your email signature to this link.
PRO TIP: “You can change the URL for your public profile link! Little know fact… Just click on it when you are in the edit mode. They suggest replacing the string of numbers with your name. ” – Briana Lund, Boston