The strawberries are rotten, not this great quick bread! I found this recipe when they were going to throw out some barely rotten strawberries when I worked at a sandwich shop – and it was so good that I held on to the recipe!
Recipe after the jump
- 1/2 cup butter (regular or low fat)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour (can use half wheat and half white)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup banana (use rotten bananas- mashed)
- 3/4 cup strawberry (use rotten strawberries- mashed)
- 2 eggs
- nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together stick butter (low fat or regular) and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix in flour.
- Sift together the baking soda and salt.
- Mix this into the bowl.
- Mash the bananas and strawberries together until you have 1 1/2 cups combined. *Can use just 1 1/2 cups bananas.
- Mix thoroughly all ingredients.
- Add two eggs and mix.
- Add nuts if desired, mix.
- Pour into a loaf pan (or muffin tins), bake anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour (depending on oven and if you’re doing muffins or loaf, more time for loaf). Keep watch on the bread, make sure it gets finished but don’t let it get overdone.
In mine, the muffins I made worked tons better. I recommend spraying the pan with Pam or something to lessen the mess or use cupcake liners. The bread I made didn’t cook all the way through because I filled it too full (would leave about an 3/4 inch at top of pan next time) I had to empty out the loaf onto a cooking sheet and cook for 10 or so minutes extra. ended up just being chunks of still delicious, but not as pretty bread!